Chili With Double-Bean Toss
pound boneless beef top round steak
tablespoon cooking oil
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
14 1/2 ounce can beef broth
cup chopped onion
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoons chili powder
tablespoon brown sugar
teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon black pepper
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
tablespoon lime juice
clove garlic, minced
tablespoon salad oil
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch chunks. In a large skillet heat oil. Brown beef, half at a time, in hot oil. Drain fat.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart electric crockery cooker combine undrained tomatoes, broth, onion, jalapeno peppers, the 2 cloves garlic, chili powder, brown sugar, oregano, cumin, and black pepper. Stir in browned beef pieces.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine pinto beans, black beans, lime peel, lime juice, salad oil, and garlic. Toss to mix. Serve chili in bowls with beans on the side or stir them into chili and top with a dollop of sour cream; garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley and tortilla chips. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Chili With Double-Bean Toss)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 33 mg chol.,
- 776 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet