- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 ounces andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices and halved
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- Whole okra, split to stem (optional)
- File powder (optional)
1. In a heavy 4-quart Dutch oven stir together the flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish brown roux is formed.
2. Stir in the onion, green pepper, garlic, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Gradually stir the hot water into the vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Stir in the sausage. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or until chicken is tender. Remove from heat. Skim off fat.
5. Rinse oysters and drain well; stir into gumbo. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the oysters are done and mixture is hot.
6. Spoon over hot cooked rice and, if desired, garnish with okra. If desired, serve 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon file powder to the side of each serving to stir into gumbo. Makes 6 servings.
- Prepare roux; cool. Transfer to jar or refrigerator container; cover and chill up to 24 hours before using.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 623,
- Fat, total (g) 36,
- chol. (mg) 120,
- sat. fat (g) 9,
- carb. (g) 34,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 38,
- vit. A (RE) 82,
- vit. C (mg) 15,
- sodium (mg) 1056,
- calcium (mg) 50,
- iron (mg) 8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet