Chicken, Oyster, and Sausage Gumbo
cup cooking oil
large onion, chopped
cup chopped green sweet pepper
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon ground red pepper
cups hot water
pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
ounces andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices and halved
pint shucked oysters, drained
Hot cooked rice
Whole okra, split to stem (optional)
File powder (optional)
- In a heavy 4-quart Dutch oven stir together the flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish brown roux is formed.
- Stir in the onion, green pepper, garlic, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Gradually stir the hot water into the vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or until chicken is tender. Remove from heat. Skim off fat.
- Rinse oysters and drain well; stir into gumbo. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the oysters are done and mixture is hot.
- Spoon over hot cooked rice and, if desired, garnish with okra. If desired, serve 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon file powder to the side of each serving to stir into gumbo. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare roux; cool. Transfer to jar or refrigerator container; cover and chill up to 24 hours before using.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken, Oyster, and Sausage Gumbo)
- Per serving:
- 623 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 120 mg chol.,
- 1056 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 38 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet