Chicken, Oyster, and Sausage Gumbo
- In a heavy 4-quart Dutch oven stir together the flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish brown roux is formed.
- Stir in the onion, green pepper, garlic, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Gradually stir the hot water into the vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the sausage. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or until chicken is tender. Remove from heat. Skim off fat.
- Rinse oysters and drain well; stir into gumbo. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the oysters are done and mixture is hot.
- Spoon over hot cooked rice and, if desired, garnish with okra. If desired, serve 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon file powder to the side of each serving to stir into gumbo. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare roux; cool. Transfer to jar or refrigerator container; cover and chill up to 24 hours before using.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken, Oyster, and Sausage Gumbo)
- Per serving:
- 623 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 120 mg chol.,
- 1056 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 38 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet