Chicken Butternut Squash Soup
pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (4 cups)
tablespoon curry powder
tablespoon olive oil
14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
cup dried apricots, snipped
cup chopped walnuts
teaspoon olive oil
teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
purchased roasted chicken, cut up (skin and bones removed, if desired)
Fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In shallow roasting pan combine squash red onion, and curry powder. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; toss gently to coat. Spread vegetables in a single layer. Roast, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In 4-quart Dutch oven combine roasted vegetables, broth, beans, and dried apricots. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes; cool slightly. Transfer vegetable mixture, half at a time, to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine walnuts, 1 teaspoon oil, and nutmeg; toss gently to coat. Spread nuts on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes or until golden and toasted. If chicken is not warm, reheat according to package directions.
- Ladle soup into shallow bowls. Top with chicken, walnut mixture, and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts(Chicken Butternut Squash Soup)
- Per serving:
- 577 kcal cal.,
- 35 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 167 mg chol.,
- 1905 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 44 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet