Cajun Seafood Gumbo
- Thaw shrimp and crab, if frozen. For roux, in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more or until roux is light reddish brown.
- Stir in onion, red sweet pepper, green sweet pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper, and ground red pepper. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are just crisp-tender, stirring often.
- Gradually stir in hot chicken broth. Stir in undrained tomatoes, okra, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until shrimp turn opaque and oysters curl around the edges. Discard bay leaves. Serve in bowls with rice. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cajun Seafood Gumbo)
- Per serving:
- 354 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 153 mg chol.,
- 897 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Lisa Dugger 1352 Days Ago
I made this several years ago. Just pulled out again recently. THE BEST!!! So good. The roux making is time consuming but hang in there. I used unbleached flour and coconut oil to make it "cleaner."