Cajun Fish Soup
This light soup is just right for a summer evening. Cool mango complements the spicy grilled Cajun fish.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 35 mins
Cajun Fish Soup
ounces fresh or frozen skinless cod or haddock fillets
ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp
tablespoon Cajun seasoning
14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
tablespoon lime juice
tablespoon soy sauce
Few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
green onions, thinly sliced
cup cilantro leaves, snipped
medium fresh mango, chopped
- Thaw fish and shrimp, if frozen. Rinse; pat dry with paper towels. Place shrimp in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of the Cajun seasoning evenly over fish; rub in with your fingers. Sprinkle remaining seasoning over shrimp; toss to coat. Thread shrimp onto 10- to 12-inch metal skewers, leaving a 1/4-inch space between pieces.
- Lightly grease or coat with nonstick cooking spray an unheated grill rack. For a charcoal grill, grill fish on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning once. Grill shrimp for 5 to 8 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque, turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place shrimp skewers and fish fillets on greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) When done, flake fish into bite-size pieces; remove shrimp from skewers.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan stir together the broth, lime peel, lime juice, soy sauce, and, if desired, hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Stir in fish, shrimp, green onions, and cilantro; heat through.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with mango. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cajun Fish Soup)
- Per serving:
- 216 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 122 mg chol.,
- 1744 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBreakfast and Brunch Fish and Seafood Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Fish and Seafood Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Shellfish Recipes, Slow Cooker Soup and Chili Recipes, Soup Recipes, Stew and Chowder Recipes