Butternut Squash Soup
pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup chopped onion (1 large)
tablespoon unsalted butter
14 ounce cans vegetable broth
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Snipped fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large shallow roasting pan, toss together squash, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast, uncovered, about 1 hour or until tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven, cook onion in hot butter over medium-low heat about 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add roasted squash and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer squash mixture, in batches, to a blender; cover and blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. If desired, garnish each serving with chives.
Nutrition Facts(Butternut Squash Soup)
- Per serving:
- 100 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 3 mg chol.,
- 713 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet