Black Bean Soup with Sausage
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, place beans in water in pan. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
- Return beans to saucepan. Stir in chicken broth, water, onion, celery, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- If desired, mash beans slightly. Stir in sausage; heat through. If desired, serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.
- Makes 6 servings (about 7 1/2 cups)
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through Step 1. In a 3 12- or 4-quart slow cooker combine chicken broth, water, onion, celery, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Stir in beans. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. If desired, mash beans slightly. Stir in sausage. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
Shortcut Black Bean Soup with Sausage:
Prepare as above, except omit dry black beans and the 6 cups soaking water. Decrease chicken broth to 1 1/2 cups. Rinse and drain two 15-ounce cans black beans. In a large saucepan combine beans, broth, water, onion, celery, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in sausage; heat through. Makes 4 servings (6 1/2 cups).
Nutrition Facts per 1 1/2 cups: 268 cal., 8 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 1,421 mg sodium, 35g carbo., 11g dietary fiber, 25 g protein.
Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 8% vit. C, 13% calcium, 19% iron.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 2 Starch, 2 Lean Meat
Nutrition Facts (Black Bean Soup with Sausage)
- Per serving:
- 198 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 29 mg chol.,
- 682 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet