pounds beets, tops removed
medium onions, halved lengthwise (about 1 pound)
cup lemon juice
cups finely shredded green cabbage
- Cut off all but 1 inch of beet stems and roots; wash. Do not peel.
- In a 6 to 8 quart Dutch oven combine beets, onions, and salt. Add water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Slip skins off beets; discard. Cut beets into large pieces.
- Stir in sugar and lemon juice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and chill, if desired.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, using one onion half per serving. Sprinkle cabbage over soup. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts(Beet Borscht)
- Per serving:
- 0 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 0 mg sodium,
- 0 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet