- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 10 medium beets (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small cooking apple, such as Granny Smith or Gala, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 8 ounce carton sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 recipe Skillet Beets (optional)
1. Peel eight of the beets* and cut each into 1-inch pieces. (Reserve remaining two beets to make Skillet Beets.) In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine the chopped beets, onion, potato, apple, and broth; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Cool about 5 minutes.
2. Transfer soup, half at a time, to a food processor. Cover; process until smooth. (Or blend with immersion blender.) Return to Dutch oven. Stir in sherry. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Heat through.
3. For horseradish cream, in a small bowl combine sour cream, horseradish, and cayenne pepper; stir about 1/2 cup of the cream mixture into the hot soup. Set aside remaining cream mixture.
4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with a dollop of the remaining horseradish cream and, if desired, Skillet Beets.
- Peel beets with a sharp vegetable peeler or paring knife. To avoid staining your hands, wear rubber gloves.
- 2 reserved beets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Trim tops from beets to leave 1 inch of stem. Peel and thinly slice beets lengthwise from top to bottom. In a large skillet cook beet slices in hot oil over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 222,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 17,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 31,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- fiber (g) 6,
- sugar (g) 17,
- pro. (g) 7,
- vit. A (IU) 1020,
- vit. C (mg) 17,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 3,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 189,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 729,
- Potassium (mg) 791,
- calcium (mg) 91,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet