Beet and Apple Soup with Horseradish Cream
medium beets (about 2-1/2 pounds)
medium sweet onion, chopped
medium potato, peeled and chopped
small cooking apple, such as Granny Smith or Gala, peeled, cored, and chopped
14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
Ground black pepper
tablespoons dry sherry or white balsamic vinegar
8 ounce carton sour cream
tablespoons prepared horseradish
teaspoon cayenne pepper
recipe Skillet Beets (optional)
- Peel eight of the beets* and cut each into 1-inch pieces. (Reserve remaining two beets to make Skillet Beets.) In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine the chopped beets, onion, potato, apple, and broth; bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Cool about 5 minutes.
- Transfer soup, half at a time, to a food processor. Cover; process until smooth. (Or blend with immersion blender.) Return to Dutch oven. Stir in sherry. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Heat through.
- For horseradish cream, in a small bowl combine sour cream, horseradish, and cayenne pepper; stir about 1/2 cup of the cream mixture into the hot soup. Set aside remaining cream mixture.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with a dollop of the remaining horseradish cream and, if desired, Skillet Beets.
From the Test Kitchen
Peel beets with a sharp vegetable peeler or paring knife. To avoid staining your hands, wear rubber gloves.
tablespoons vegetable oil
- Trim tops from beets to leave 1 inch of stem. Peel and thinly slice beets lengthwise from top to bottom. In a large skillet cook beet slices in hot oil over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender, turning once.
Nutrition Facts(Beet and Apple Soup with Horseradish Cream)
- Per serving:
- 222 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 17 mg chol.,
- 729 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet