Beer and Cheese Soup
bunch green onions
tablespoons olive oil
cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained
cup pale lager or nonalcoholic beer
cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
ounces American cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Slice green onions, separating white and green parts. In a Dutch oven over medium heat cook white portions of green onions in 1 tablespoon hot oil until tender.
- In a blender combine red peppers, cooked onion, beer, and 1 cup of the potatoes; process until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cheese to pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and soup is hot (do not boil).
- In a skillet cook remaining potatoes in remaining hot oil over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with the 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
- Top bowls of soup with potatoes, the green portions of the sliced green onions, and additional paprika.
Nutrition Facts(Beer and Cheese Soup)
- Per serving:
- 467 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 63 mg chol.,
- 1096 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet