Baked Potato Soup
- Scrub potatoes with a vegetable brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes with a fork. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 40 to 60 minutes or until tender; cool. Cut each potato lengthwise. Scoop out white portion of each potato. Break up any large pieces of potato. Discard potato skins.
- In a large saucepan cook 3 tablespoons of the green onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, dill, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir for 12 to 15 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the potato pulp and 1 cup of the cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Top each serving with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons green onion, and the bacon.
- Makes 5 to 6 servings (5 1/2 cups)
From the Test Kitchen
Bake potatoes ahead. Remove pulp and place in storage container. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours ahead. To serve, add potato pulp to soup after mixture is thickened and bubbly; heat through. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts (Baked Potato Soup)
- Per serving:
- 377 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 67 mg chol.,
- 801 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet