African-Creole Turkey Gumbo
pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
cups fresh or frozen cut okra, thawed (12 ounces)
tablespoons cooking oil
cup cooking oil
cup chopped onion
cup chopped celery
cup chopped green sweet pepper
clove garlic, minced
teaspoon crushed red pepper
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon ground red pepper
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup tomato paste
ounces cooked andouille or smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
cup chopped cooked turkey or chicken
ounces cooked crabmeat, cut into bite-sized pieces (optional)
tablespoon creamy peanut butter
teaspoon file powder (gumbo file)
cups cooked rice
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Rinse shrimp and pat dry; set aside.
- Cook okra in the 2 tablespoons oil and sugar in a saucepan about 8 minutes or until almost tender. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and set aside.
- For roux, stir together flour and the 1/2 cup oil in a heavy 4-quart Dutch oven until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a long-handled wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly 10 to 15 minutes more or until roux is a dark reddish-brown. Stir in onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper, paprika, thyme, black pepper, and ground red pepper (or Cajun seasoning, if using). Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Gradually stir broth into roux mixture. Stir in tomato paste and bay leaf. Bring mixture to boiling. Add shrimp. Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Stir in sausage, turkey, crab meat (if using), cooked okra, peanut butter, and file powder. Heat through. Discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over hot cooked rice. Pass hot pepper sauce. Garnish with fresh marjoram sprigs, if desired. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
For convenience, use 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning in place of the crushed red pepper, paprika, thyme, black pepper, and ground red pepper.
Nutrition Facts(African-Creole Turkey Gumbo)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal cal.,
- 22 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 77 mg chol.,
- 501 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 18 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet