Sopa de Limon (Lime Soup)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Halve chile pepper; remove stem, seeds, and membranes.* Place chile pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast about 20 minutes or until pepper halves are charred and very tender. Bring foil up around pepper halves and fold edges together to enclose. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, loosen edges of skins; gently pull off skins in strips and discard. Chop chile pepper; set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine broth, cinnamon, peppercorns, and allspice. Bring to boiling. Add turkey (cut to fit pan, if needed). Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 25 minutes or until turkey is done (170 degrees F). Remove turkey from broth; strain broth and discard spices. Return broth to saucepan. When turkey is cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull turkey apart into shreds.
- Add roasted pepper, tomato, onion, lime juice, garlic, oregano, and salt to broth in saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Divide turkey among four individual serving bowls. Spoon broth mixture over turkey. Top with Crispy Tortilla Shreds and Cilantro Crema. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Fresh: Make as directed. Fast: Instead of the roasted pepper, use one 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers. Instead of poaching the turkey, use 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken. Instead of Crispy Tortilla Shreds, use 1/2 cup broken tortilla chips.
- In a small bowl stir together crema and cilantro.
Crispy Tortilla Shreds
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch wide strips. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add tortilla strips, 1/4 at a time, to oil. Cook until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Nutrition Facts(Sopa de Limon (Lime Soup))
- Per serving:
- 204 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 41 mg chol.,
- 853 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet