- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 egg or 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground pork
- 2 14 ounce can beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (2 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 medium)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
1. For meatballs, in a medium bowl combine egg, uncooked rice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in meat; mix well. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
2. For soup, in a large saucepan combine broth, the water, and tomato paste. Bring to boiling. Add meatballs. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and rice is tender.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion to saucepan. Cook, covered, about 15 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in peas; heat through.
- Mix and shape the meatballs as directed in Step 1. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Freeze until firm. Place meatballs in a moisture- and vaporproof plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator before adding to soup.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 259,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 83,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 26,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 19,
- sodium (mg) 627,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet