- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Freeze: 20 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 8 mins 350°
cup granulated sugar
teaspoon lemon zest
teaspoon almond extract (optional)
Nonstick cooking spray
tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, ans sliced into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
ripe pears, such as Anjou, peeled, cored, ans sliced into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
cup grated frozen purchased pound cake
cup dried cranberries
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons finely shredded orange zest
4-serving-size package instant vanilla pudding mix (3 1/2 tablespoons)
cup whipping cream
tablespoons orange juice
17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet), thawed
cup powdered sugar
Maraschino cherry (optional)
- For Bottom Crust, in a large bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon zest; beat until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl and necessary. Add egg yolks; beat until combined. Add flour and salt; beat until dough just comes together. Using your hands, knead dough until flour is fully incorporated.
- Coat a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom with nonstick cooking spray. Press dough into the bottom and sides of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake crust, uncovered, 18 minutes or until edges of just start to brown and the bottom appears dry. Remove from oven. Cool on wire rack.
- In a very large bowl toss together apples, pears, cake crumbs, cranberries. flour, brown sugar, and orange zest; set aside. In a small bowl whisk together instant pudding mix, cream, and orange juice for 1 minute or until well blended. Let stand 3 minutes until thickened. Stir pudding mixture into apple mixture. Mound filling into prepared crust*, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edge to tuck in pastry top.
- Unfold puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface roll out pastry to a 12-inch square. Carefully drape pastry over filling. Tuck edges of pastry between filling and bottom crust; trim excess pastry. In a small bowl combine 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Using a pastry brush, brush pastry with a egg mixture. Transfer pan to a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes or until top crust is golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For Icing, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Spoon half the icing over top of the pie; let stand 2 minutes. Spoon remaining icing over. Top with maraschino cherry, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
If you place the filling in an 8-cup measuring cup, then invert it into the prepared crust, the mounding is done for you.
Nutrition Facts (Snow-Capped Pie)
- Per serving:
- 681 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 116 mg chol.,
- 301 mg sodium,
- 107 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 66 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet