- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 hickory or oak wood chunks
- 1 3 1/2 - 4 pound boneless lamb shoulder roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion (1 large)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese with garlic and herb (2 ounces)
- 8 Greek pita flatbreads
- 1 recipe Tzatziki
1. For at least 1 hour before smoke-cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
2. Meanwhile, trim fat from meat. For rub, in a small bowl combine salt, marjoram, thyme, dried onion, cumin, garlic powder, mint, pepper, and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
3. Prepare smoker. Add drained wood chunks to smoker. Place meat on top rack of smoker. Cover and smoke at 225 degrees F to 250 degrees F for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until tender.
4. Remove meat from smoker. Cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat. Divide meat, tomato, chopped onion, and feta cheese among flatbreads. Serve with Tzatziki.
Yield: Makes about 1 cup.
- 1 6 ounce carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, lemon peel, lemon juice, mint, garlic, and salt.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 599,
- Fat, total (g) 33,
- chol. (mg) 120,
- sat. fat (g) 14,
- carb. (g) 39,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 13,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 35,
- sodium (mg) 1161,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet