0 did it
- Makes: 64 servings
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Yields: 4 half-pints
- Prep: 1 hr 15 mins
- Stand: 1 hr
- Grill: 5 mins
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover; drain before using.
- Halve, core, and seed tomatoes. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium coals in the bottom of a covered grill; sprinkle coals with wood chips. Place tomatoes on grill rack directly over coals. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes or until tomatoes are slightly softened and starting to char. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add wood chips according to the manufacturer's directions. Place tomatoes on grill rack directly over heat. Grill as above.) Remove from grill. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off and discard skins; coarsely chop tomatoes.
- In a small saucepan combine vinegar, stick cinnamon, cloves, celery seeds, and allspice. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Cover and set aside.
- In an 8-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot combine chopped tomatoes, onion, and cayenne pepper (measure depth with a ruler). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.* Using an immersion blender, blend mixture until nearly smooth. Stir in sugar. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until reduced by half (measure depth again with ruler; should be half of original depth).
- Strain vinegar mixture; discard solids. Add vinegar mixture and salt to tomato mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently. Using the immersion blender, blend mixture until smooth.
- Ladle hot ketchup into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 4 half-pints.
From the Test Kitchen
Watch carefully as the mixture might spatter during the first part of cooking.
Nutrition Facts (Smoky Ketchup)
- Per serving:
- 24 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 76 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet