- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 4 hrs 30 mins to 5 hrs (low) or 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes (high)
Smoky Green Bean Casserole
pounds fresh or frozen thin green beans or haricots verts, trimmed and halved crosswise
cups sliced cremini or button mushrooms (16 ounces)
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon olive oil
10 3/4 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese or cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
tablespoons whole grain mustard
cup roasted red sweet pepper strips
8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
2.8 ounce can french-fried onions
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook green beans in lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain beans and pour into a very large bowl of ice water. Drain again. Transfer to a very large bowl.
- In a large saucepan cook and stir mushrooms and garlic in hot oil over medium to medium-high heat until soft and beginning to brown. Stir in soup, cheese, milk, and mustard until combined. Add to bowl with beans. Add red pepper and water chestnuts. Toss to combine.
- Spoon half of the bean mixture into a 4-quart slow cooker. Top with half of the french-fried onions. Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
TO MAKE AHEAD:
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Cover; chill mixture for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Smoky Green Bean Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 149 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 8 mg chol.,
- 437 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet