Smoky Chocolate Crackers
teaspoons smoked paprika
cup powdered sugar, sifted
tablespoons granulated sugar
cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, smoked paprika and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add powdered and granulated sugars; beat 2 more minutes to blend. Add the egg whites; beat on medium speed 1 minute. Reduce speed to low; beat about 1 minute more. (The egg whites will curdle the batter, but the dough will come together when the flour mixture is added.) Still on low speed, add the flour mixture; mix only until it disappears into the dough. You should have a thick, smooth dough. Using a spatula, stir in chopped almonds.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide in half; shape each half into a disk. Place a disk between two sheets of parchment or wax paper; roll it to a 1/4-inch thickness. Repeat with the remaining disk. Freeze the rolled-out dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Working with half the dough at a time, use a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut as many cookies as you can. Save the scraps of dough. Place the hearts about an inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until just slightly firm to the touch, rotating the baking sheet at the halfway point. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool to room temperature.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, always starting with a cool baking sheet. Combine the scraps of dough. Shape into a disk, roll and freeze 15 minutes or until firm. Cut and bake as above.
From the Test Kitchen
Crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Nutrition Facts(Smoky Chocolate Crackers)
- Per serving:
- 55 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 7 mg chol.,
- 49 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet