Slow-Simmered Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a small bowl stir together the water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin. Pour over meat in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat from cooker; discard cooking liquid. Use two forks to pull meat apart into coarse shreds, discarding fat; return meat to slow cooker. Stir in 2 cups of Homemade BBQ Sauce or purchased barbecue sauce. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting; cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through. Serve meat mixture in rolls. Pass remaining Homemade BBQ Sauce or purchased barbecue sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your meal is finished cooking, spoon it out of your slow cooker. Once the food is out of your slow cooker liner, simply dispose of the liner. Note: Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- In a medium saucepan combine ketchup, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, Pickapeppa sauce, garlic, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use the sauce immediately or cool slightly and transfer to a storage container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Slow-Simmered Pulled Pork Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 426 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 71 mg chol.,
- 1143 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 31 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet