Slow Cooker Carnitas
teaspoons garlic powder
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper or chili powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
tablespoons vegetable oil
cup chicken broth
teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
8 inches flour tortillas
- In a large bowl combine garlic powder, salt, oregano, coriander, cumin, ground ancho pepper, and cinnamon; set aside. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 2-inch pieces. Add meat to spice mixture; toss gently to coat.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook meat, one-third at a time, in hot oil until brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a 4 1/2- or 5-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Add bay leaves. Pour broth over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from cooker, reserving cooking liquid. Remove and discard bay leaves. Using two forks, pull meat apart into coarse shreds. Transfer shredded meat to a storage container; stir in the reserved cooking liquid and lime peel. Cover and chill overnight.
- Return meat mixture to slow cooker. Cover and reheat on high-heat setting about 2 hours or until heated through.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. Tote desired toppings in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep meat mixture warm on warm-heat setting. To serve, spoon meat mixture onto tortillas; add toppings. Fold bottom of each tortilla up over filling. Fold in sides; roll up tortilla.
The day before:
From the Test Kitchen
4 1/2- or 5-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs (optional)
Nutrition Facts(Slow Cooker Carnitas )
- Per serving:
- 568 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 16 g monounsatured fat),
- 111 mg chol.,
- 673 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 1 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet