Upload your photo here.
Slow-Cooked Chipotle Salsa
- Coat a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place tomatoes in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting about 2 hours or until tomato skins split and peel away from flesh. Transfer tomatoes to a plate. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, use your fingers to peel away and discard tomato skins. Quarter tomatoes and return them to slow cooker. Stir in onion, chipotle peppers, oil, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tomatoes can be easily mashed with a fork.
- Transfer mixture to a nonmetal bowl; cool to room temperature. Mash mixture to desired consistency or puree mixture in a food processor for a smoother texture. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 2 days.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. when working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Slow-Cooked Chipotle Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 12 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- 71 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 1 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet