Skillet-Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Jalapeno Creamed Spinach
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove outer leaves from the cauliflower. Carefully trim stem end, leaving core intact so florets are still attached. Turn cauliflower head core side down; using a chef knife or large serrated knife and cut cauliflower vertically into four 1- to 1 1/4- inch-thick "steaks" (reserve ends and loose pieces for another use).
- In an extra-large oven-going skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add cauliflower steaks; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until browned on both sides, turning once halfway through cooking time. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cumin. Transfer skillet to oven; roast, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Remove cauliflower from skillet; keep warm.
- Prepare Jalapeno Creamed Spinach. Serve cauliflower steaks over the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with pepitas.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Jalapeno Creamed Spinach
- In an extra-large skillet over medium heat, add spinach, half at a time, stirring until wilted. Transfer to a colander. Squeeze out excess liquid.
- Cook onion and jalepeno in hot oil 5 minutes or until tender. Add whipping cream, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cream starts to thicken. Add spinach. Simmer until mixture reaches desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Skillet-Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Jalapeno Creamed Spinach)
- Per serving:
- 446 kcal cal.,
- 37 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 14 g monounsatured fat),
- 82 mg chol.,
- 490 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 9 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet