- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread pumpkin seeds in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 8 minutes or until toasted. Spread pumpkin seeds on a sheet of foil; cool completely. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes, onion, and the 1 habanero or 2 jalapeno or serrano chile peppers on the 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender and lightly charred. Cool slightly. Remove cores from tomatoes. Remove stem and seeds from chile pepper.* Remove any large dry pieces of charred skin, but don't remove all of it.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a food processor. Cover and process until ground. Add vegetables, orange juice, garlic, and salt. Cover and process until nearly smooth. Stir in chives and snipped cilantro. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs and an additional whole chile pepper. Serve with Baked Tortilla Chips.
From the Test Kitchen
Fresh: Make as directed. Fast: Use purchased tortilla chips instead of Baked Tortilla Chips.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Baked Tortilla Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges and spread wedges on two large baking sheets. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp and light brown.
Nutrition Facts(Sikil Pak)
- Per serving:
- 257 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 190 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet