- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 4 - 5 pound bone-in pork shoulder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cups root beer
- 3 - 4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped*
- 2 - 3 teaspoons canned adobo sauce
- 24 flour or corn tortillas, warmed**
- Accompaniments, such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sliced fresh jalapeno peppers* (optional)
1. Sprinkle meat on all sides with chili powder, salt, and pepper; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in a 6-quart slow cooker. Tuck onion wedges around meat. In a bowl combine root beer, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. Pour mixture over meat.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until meat easily shreds with a fork. Turn off slow cooker.
3. Transfer meat to large cutting board or work surface; cool slightly.
4. Transfer cooking liquid to medium saucepan. Skim off and discard fat. Bring cooking liquid to simmering over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened.
5. Use two forks to pull meat apart into coarse shreds, discarding fat; return meat to slow cooker. Pour reduced cooking liquid over meat, stirring to coat.
6. Serve meat in warm tortillas. If desired, add accompaniments.
- Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. when working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- To warm tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Heat for about 10 minutes or until warm.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 501,
- Fat, total (g) 25,
- chol. (mg) 80,
- sat. fat (g) 8,
- carb. (g) 42,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 11,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3,
- fiber (g) 3,
- sugar (g) 8,
- pro. (g) 25,
- vit. A (IU) 632,
- vit. C (mg) 3,
- Thiamin (mg) 1,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 7,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 77,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 627,
- Potassium (mg) 499,
- calcium (mg) 111,
- iron (mg) 4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet