Shredded Burgundy Beef Po Boys
- Press the coffee granules into both sides of roast. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium high heat. Add roast; cook until light brown on both sides, turning once.
- Meanwhile, coat a 3- or 3-1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer onions, pepper strips, garlic, and bay leaves in cooker. If necessary, cut roast to fit into cooker. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- Add wine to skillet; bring to a boiling over medium-high heat, scraping brown bits from bottom and sides of skillet. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer meat to a cutting board. Remove and discard bay leaves. Add salt to mixture in cooker. Using two forks pull meat apart into shreds; return to cooker, stirring to combine.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet; top each with a cheese slice. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until cheese melts and bread is toasted.
- To serve, using a slotted spoon divide meat mixture among bread slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Each clove of minced garlic is about 1/2 teaspoon. So you may substitute 2 teaspoons minced garlic from a jar for the four cloves of fresh garlic.
Nutrition Facts (Shredded Burgundy Beef Po Boys)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 563 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet