- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee granules
- 1 pound extra-lean boneless chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (3 medium)
- 1/2 mediumred sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/2 mediumgreen sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size trips
- 4 clovesgarlic, minced*
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 thick slicesmultigrain Italian bread (about 1 1/2 ounces each)
- 6 thin slicesprovolone cheese (3 ounces total)
1. Press the coffee granules into both sides of roast. Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium high heat. Add roast; cook until light brown on both sides, turning once.
2. Meanwhile, coat a 3- or 3-1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer onions, pepper strips, garlic, and bay leaves in cooker. If necessary, cut roast to fit into cooker. Place roast on top of vegetables.
3. Add wine to skillet; bring to a boiling over medium-high heat, scraping brown bits from bottom and sides of skillet. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over roast.
4. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
5. Using a slotted spoon transfer meat to a cutting board. Remove and discard bay leaves. Add salt to mixture in cooker. Using two forks pull meat apart into shreds; return to cooker, stirring to combine.
6. Preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet; top each with a cheese slice. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until cheese melts and bread is toasted.
7. To serve, using a slotted spoon divide meat mixture among bread slices.
- Each clove of minced garlic is about 1/2 teaspoon. So you may substitute 2 teaspoons minced garlic from a jar for the four cloves of fresh garlic.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 272,
- Fat, total (g) 8,
- chol. (mg) 31,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 26,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 0,
- fiber (g) 4,
- sugar (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 21,
- vit. A (IU) 486,
- vit. C (mg) 24,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 5,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 52,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 563,
- Potassium (mg) 441,
- calcium (mg) 182,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet