Short Ribs with Black Barley and Mushrooms
- In a large bowl combine barley and enough boiling water to cover completely. Let stand at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours; drain.
- Trim any surface fat from ribs; season with salt and ground black pepper. In a 4-quart Dutch oven brown ribs on all sides, half at a time, in hot oil, over medium-high heat. Remove ribs; set aside. Discard all but 1 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Return ribs to pan. Add barley, broth, star anise, salt, and cracked black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until ribs and barley are tender. Remove ribs; set aside. Simmer barley mixture, uncovered, until desired consistency. Remove and discard star anise.
- In a small bowl combine parsley, garlic, and lemon peel. To serve, spoon barley mixture over beef ribs. Sprinkle with parsley mixture and freshly ground black pepper. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Substitute regular pearled barley, brown rice, farro, or wheat berries for the black barley. Omit step 1; begin with step 2.
Nutrition Facts (Short Ribs with Black Barley and Mushrooms)
- Per serving:
- 561 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 92 mg chol.,
- 755 mg sodium,
- 48 g carb.,
- 14 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 43 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet