Short Rib Lasagna
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven combine the mushrooms, carrots, onion, wine, broth, and garlic. Add ribs. Bring to boiling. Reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork.*
- Meanwhile, for white sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Stir in milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.Stir in Gruyere cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using tongs, transfer ribs to a cutting board. Shred meat. Strain cooking liquid; reserve vegetables; discard liquid. Return meat to pot. Stir in reserved vegetables and thyme.*
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions until tender but still firm (al dente). Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well and set aside.
- Drizzle bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with olive oil. Arrange 3 noodles in a single layer atop oil. Spread with 1 cup of the white sauce. Using a slotted spoon, layer on one-third of the short rib mixture. Repeat layers ending with noodles. Pour remaining white sauce over top. Cover with a piece of parchment brushed with olive oil, coated side down; seal tightly with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes more or until cheese is golden brown and mixture is bubbly. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with additional Gruyere cheese and snipped fresh thyme, if desired. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Chill meat mixture in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Continue as directed in step 2.
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine the seasoned ribs, mushrooms, carrots, onion, wine, beef broth, and garlic. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours. Continue as directed in step 2.
Nutrition Facts(Short Rib Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 574 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 132 mg chol.,
- 479 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 39 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet