Sesame Chicken with Broccoli
tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
teaspoons toasted sesame oil
pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
tablespoons canola oil
green onions, white parts thinly sliced and green tops reserved
tablespoon grated fresh ginger
cloves garlic, minced
cups low-sodium chicken broth
tablespoon rice vinegar
teaspoon chili paste
small head broccoli, cut in florets, steamed until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes
tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Hot cooked brown rice (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk together 3 Tbsp. of the soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 2 tsp. honey. Add cut-up chicken, toss to coat, then marinate for 20 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade with a slotted spoon. Discard the marinade.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok heat 2 tsp. of canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken at a time for 6 minutes until browned and cooked through, turning once or twice. Transfer to a large serving plate. Heat 2 tsp. canola oil to cook remaining chicken. Transfer to serving plate.
- In the same skillet heat the remaining 2 tsp. canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the white parts of onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. For sesame sauce, in a small bowl whisk together broth, remaining soy sauce, remaining honey, the cornstarch, vinegar, and chili paste until cornstarch and honey are incorporated. Add sauce to skillet. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened and darkened in color. Stir in remaining 1 tsp. sesame oil.
- To serve, pour sauce over chicken. Surround chicken with steamed broccoli. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion tops. Serve with brown rice, if desired.
- Use 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth and extra-firm tofu instead of chicken.
- Use gluten-free soy sauce.
- Remove portions before adding chili paste to remaining portions.
Make it vegetarian
Make it gluten-free
For less spice
Nutrition Facts(Sesame Chicken with Broccoli)
- Per serving:
- 365 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 82 mg chol.,
- 882 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 39 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet