Shrimp with Warm Coleslaw
fresh jumbo shrimp in shells
slices thick-cut bacon, halved
pounds coleslaw mix (about 11 cups)
cup red wine vinegar
cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse shrimp; pat dry. Set aside.
- In large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels; reserve drippings. Return 2 tablespoons drippings to skillet.
- Add shrimp to hot drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Add coleslaw mix to hot skillet (add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional bacon drippings if necessary; discard remaining drippings). Cook and stir over medium heat 6 minutes or until coleslaw mixture is wilted and just tender. Stir in vinegar and chives. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide coleslaw mixture among 16 plates. Top each with a shrimp and 1/2 slice bacon. Makes 16 appetizer servings or 4 entree servings.
From the Test Kitchen
As an entree:
Crumble cooked bacon and add it to coleslaw mix with the vinegar and chives. Divide mixture among 4 plates and top each with 4 shrimp.
Nutrition Facts(Shrimp with Warm Coleslaw)
- Per serving:
- 201 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 132 mg chol.,
- 589 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet