Shrimp and Noodles
A spicy wasabi dressing coats the vegetables, noodles, and shrimp in this low-calorie, low-fat meal. For even more heat, substitute wasabi peas for the cashews.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Start to Finish: 40 mins
Shrimp and Noodles
pound medium fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails may be left intact)
tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoon vegetable oil
16 ounce wide rice noodles
tablespoon toasted sesame oil
cups shredded napa cabbage or butterhead (Boston or Bibb) lettuce
medium carrots, coarsely shredded
cup thinly sliced radishes
cup fresh basil leaves, torn
medium jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
recipe Wasabi Dressing, (recipe below)
cup honey-roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
Thinly sliced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. In 10-inch skillet cook shrimp, gingerroot, and garlic in hot oil for 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque; set aside.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions; drain. Rinse in cold water to cool; drain again. Toss noodles with toasted sesame oil. For easier-to-eat bites, use kitchen shears to snip noodles.
- Arrange noodles, shrimp, cabbage, carrots, radishes, basil, and sliced jalapeno peppers in bowls. Serve with Wasabi Dressing. Sprinkle cashews and additional sliced jalapenos. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Hot: 1-1/2 tsp. wasabi powder
Hotter: 2 tsp. wasabi powder
Hottest: 3 tsp. wasabi powder
cup soy sauce
cup rice vinegar
tablespoons lime juice
tablespoons vegetable oil
tablespoon sesame oil
teaspoons wasabi powder
teaspoon finely shredded basil
- In small bowl combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, vegetable oil, sesame oil, sugar, and wasabi powder. Sprinkle basil.
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp and Noodles)
- Per serving:
- 351 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 129 mg chol.,
- 903 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet