Sea Bass with Fennel Slaw
This heart-healthy fish dinner owes its sensational flavor to a double dose of fennel--fresh strips in the slaw and seeds in the coating for the fish.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 24 hrs
- Grill: 4 mins to 6 mins per 1/2-inch thickness of fish
Sea Bass with Fennel Slaw
tablespoons white wine vinegar
tablespoon olive oil
teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
dash ground black pepper
fennel bulbs, thinly sliced and cut into thin strips (about 4 cups)
cup coarsely shredded carrot
4 ounces fresh or frozen sea bass or grouper fillets, cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick
teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
teaspoon ground black pepper
Fresh fennel tops (optional)
- In a screw-top jar, combine vinegar, oil, tarragon, mustard, the 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the dash black pepper. Cover and shake well. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the vinegar mixture; cover and chill until serving time. In a large bowl, combine fennel strips and carrot. Pour the remaining vinegar mixture over fennel mixture. Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Measure thickness of fish. In a small bowl, stir together crushed fennel seeds, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle evenly over both sides of each fish fillet.
- Place fish in a well-greased grill basket or in a greased grill wok. For a charcoal grill, place grill basket or grill wok on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning basket once or carefully turning fish once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place fish in well-greased grill basket or in greased grill wok. Place grill basket or grill wok on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Drizzle the reserved 1 tablespoon vinegar mixture over grilled fish. Serve fish with slaw. If desired, garnish with fennel tops.
Nutrition Facts (Sea Bass with Fennel Slaw)
- Per serving:
- 213 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 58 mg chol.,
- 557 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 24 g fiber,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBreakfast and Brunch Fish and Seafood Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Fish and Seafood Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Healthy Desserts, Healthy Dinner Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Quick and Easy Healthy Recipes, Quick and Easy Recipes, Salad Recipes, Shellfish Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes