Salt and Pepper Trout with Caramelized Red Onion Polenta
cup stone-ground cornmeal
cups chicken broth
tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
fresh or frozen boned pan-dressed trout (6 to 7-oz. each) or, 4 fresh trout fillets (about 4-oz. each)
Citrus-flavored olive oil (such as lime, lemon, or grapefruit)
Coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
bunch watercress, woody stems removed
- In a medium covered skillet cook onions in hot butter over medium-low heat for 13 to 15 minutes or until onions are tender. Uncover and stir over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cornmeal and 1 cup of the chicken broth; set aside. In a medium saucepan bring the remaining 1-1/2 cups chicken broth to boiling over medium-high heat. Slowly add cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly. Return to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in the caramelized onion, Parmesan cheese, and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper until the cheese melts. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. If using pan-dressed trout, spread fish open; brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Close fish and place on greased, unheated rack of a broiler pan. Measure thickness of fish at the thickest spot. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning after 4 minutes. (If using fillets, place fish skin side down on ungreased rack of broiler pan. Measure thickness of fish at the thickest spot. Brush with flavored olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.)
- To serve, spoon polenta onto individual plates. Top with fish and some watercress. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts(Salt and Pepper Trout with Caramelized Red Onion Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 425 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 114 mg chol.,
- 859 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 43 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet