Salmon Potato Scramble
- Thaw salmon, if frozen. Rinse salmon; pat dry with paper towels. Measure thickness of fish. Cut into six serving size pieces; brush with 2 teaspoons of the oil and sprinkle with Old Bay® seasoning. Place on the greased rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch of thickness or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork, turning once halfway through broiling.
- In a very large skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, water, salt and pepper; add to skillet along with sweet pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat without stirring until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around edges. With a spatula or a large spoon, lift and fold partially cooked egg mixture so that the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and folding over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but is still glossy and moist.
- Divide potato mixture among serving plates; top each with a salmon portion.
From the Test Kitchen
Reserve leftover cooked salmon portions. Split a whole grain hoagie and fill it with the salmon and reduced-fat coleslaw.
Cost-Saving Tip: While higher in sodium, fresh salmon can easily be substituted for 2 6-ounce cans skinless boneless salmon, drained and flaked. Make sure to rinse it to get any excess sodium-packed liquid off. Omit step 1. Heat canned salmon through and serve atop potato mixture.
Convenience Tip: Instead of prepping the fresh tiny new potatoes, use a 20-ounce package refrigerated red potato wedges instead.
Substitution Tip: Eggs can be part of a healthy diet, but if you would prefer, the eggs can be substituted for 1 1/2 cups refrigerated or frozen egg substitute.
Nutrition Facts (Salmon Potato Scramble)
- Per serving:
- 307 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 256 mg chol. ,
- 327 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.