Low-fat coleslaw and baked cornmeal-coated fish give the classic Po' Boy sandwich a delicious heart-healthy spin.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 4 hrs to 6 hrs 400°F per 1/2-inch thickness
cup light mayonnaise or salad dressing
tablespoon prepared horseradish
cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
stalk celery, finely chopped
tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
ounces fresh or frozen gray sole, flounder, or other thin fish fillets
Nonstick cooking spray
tablespoon fat-free milk
cup yellow cornmeal
cup fine dry bread crumbs
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoons olive oil
whole grain rolls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Thaw fish, if frozen. In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, horseradish, and sugar. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Add coleslaw mix, celery, and parsley to the remaining mayonnaise mixture; stir to coat.
- Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Measure the thickness of fish fillets. Lightly coat a foil-lined shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a shallow dish, combine egg and milk. In another shallow dish, combine cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper; stir in olive oil until well mixed. Dip fish into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Place fish in prepared baking pan. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- To assemble sandwiches, cut rolls in half and hollow out some of the insides of the top halves; discard crumbs. Spread the reserved 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture on the bottom halves of the rolls. Place fish on top. Cover with coleslaw mixture and the top halves of rolls.
Nutrition Facts (Po' Boys)
- Per serving:
- 345 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 112 mg chol.,
- 610 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet