- Throughly wash oysters. Using an oyster knife or other blunt-tipped knife, open shells. Remove oysters and dry.* Discard flat top shells; wash deep bottom shells. Place each oyster in a shell. Set aside.
- For filling, in a large skillet cook fennel or celery, onion, parsley, and garlic in the 3 tablespoons margarine or butter until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir just until greens begin to wilt. Remove from heat. Stir in anisette, Pernod, or water; pepper sauce, and pepper. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the crumbs.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon filling atop each oyster. Toss together remaining crumbs and the 4 teaspoons melted margarine or butter. Sprinkle over oysters.
- Line a shallow baking pan with rock salt to a depth of 1/2 inch. (Or, use foil to keep oysters from tipping.) Arrange oysters atop. Bake in a 425 degree F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until edges begin to curl. Serve warm. Makes 24 appetizers.
From the Test Kitchen
To save time and effort, have your fishmonger shuck the oysters. Be sure to have him save the bottom shells.
Nutrition Facts (Oysters Rockefeller)
- Per serving:
- 51 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 16 mg chol.,
- 76 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet