When buying fresh oysters, look for those with tightly closed shells and a fresh scent. Avoid any with a strong fishy odor.
- Open oysters in shells (see tip below). With a knife, remove oysters from shells and drain well. Wash shells.
- Place each oyster in the deep half of each shell. Arrange on a bed of coarse rock salt in shallow pans. (Or, steady shells on pan lined with crumpled foil.)
- In a saucepan cook green onions and garlic in butter or margarine about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, white pepper, and red pepper. Add chicken broth and cream, stirring until well blended. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat. Gradually stir about half of mixture into beaten yolks. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Stir in shrimp, mushrooms, and wine. Heat through. Remove from heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the shrimp mixture over each oyster.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and paprika. Sprinkle over oysters. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden on top and oysters curl. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
To shuck an oyster, hold the oyster in an oven mitt with the flat side up. Using a strong-bladed oyster knife, insert the knife tip into the hinge between the shells. Twist the blade to pry open the oyster. Slip the blade along the inside of the upper shell to free the muscle from the shell. Remove and discard the flat top shell. Slide the knife under the oyster to cut the muscle from the bottom shell. Reserve the deep bottom shells for Oysters Bienville.
Nutrition Facts (Oysters Bienville)
- Per serving:
- 435 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat,
- 382 mg chol.,
- 774 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet