Nori is a Japanese form of seaweed that is dried in sheets. Find it in Asian markets or the Asian section of supermarkets. When it's unavailable, substitute fresh parsley.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Grill: 15 mins
- Thoroughly wash clams in shells. In a large pot or kettle combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup of the salt. Place clams in the salt water mixture; let stand 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Repeat soaking and rinsing twice more, using new water and salt each time.
- In a small bowl stir together butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, and the 2 to 3 tablespoons snipped fresh herbs; set aside. Remove corn husks; clean several husks and set aside. Use hands or a stiff brush to remove silk from corn. Brush corn with about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture. Lay clean husks back in place.
- Tear off four 24x18-inch pieces of heavy foil. Lay 2 sheets of nori or 3 to 4 large sprigs of fresh parsley in the center of each piece of foil. Cut four 12-inch squares of 100 percent cotton cheesecloth; place 1 square atop nori on each piece of foil.
- For each packet, arrange the following on cheesecloth: 5 clams in shells, 1 ear of corn, 1/2 of a lobster tail, and 2 slices of kielbasa. Brush about 2 tablespoons butter mixture over cut sides of lobsters. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of remaining butter over each packet. (Reserve remaining butter mixture until serving time.) Top with a few sprigs of basil or dillweed. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bring ends of cheesecloth together in center. Seal foil packets, allowing room for steam to build.
- In a grill with a cover, place foil packets, seam side up, on grill directly over medium coals. Grill, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until clams are open, lobster is opaque, and corn is tender, carefully opening packets to check doneness. To serve, open packets. (Discard any clams that have not opened, nori, if using, and herb sprigs. Replace with fresh herb sprigs, if desired.) Pass remaining lemon-butter mixture. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (High-and-Dry Clambake)
- Per serving:
- 667 kcal cal.,
- 54 g fat
- (29 g sat. fat,
- 203 mg chol.,
- 1177 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet