Deep-Fried Clams or Scallops
pint shucked clams or 1 pound fresh or frozen scallops
Spicy Cocktail Sauce (see recipe below) (optional)
Sweet and Sour Sauce (see recipe below) (optional)
tablespoons cooking oil
Shortening or cooking oil for deep-fat frying
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Prepare Spicy Cocktail Sauce or Sweet and Sour Sauce, if desired. If scallops are large, cut in half. Rinse clams or scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- For batter, in a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a small mixing bowl combine egg, 2 tablespoons cooking oil, and 3/4 cup cold water. Add to flour mixture; beat smooth.
- In a deep-fat fryer or a 2-quart saucepan heat 2 inches shortening or oil to 375 degree F (see tip below). Dip clams or scallops into batter. Fry a few at a time, until golden brown, turning once. Allow 1 to 1-1/2 minutes for clams and 2 to 2-1/2 minutes for scallops. Remove from fat and drain on paper towels. Keep fried clams or scallops warm in a 300 degree F oven while frying remaining seafood. Serve with sauce, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Use a deep-fat frying thermometer to check the temperature of the fat. Place it so the bulb does not touch the pan. Carefully control the temperature of the fat by adjusting the heat.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon ground ginger
cup unsweetened pineapple juice
tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
tablespoon soy sauce
- In a 1-quart saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and ground ginger. Stir in pineapple juice, green pepper, vinegar, and soy sauce. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir sauce for 2 minutes more. Serve sauce warm with seafood. Makes 3/4 cup.
Spicy Cocktail Sauce
tablespoon finely chopped onion
small clove garlic, minced
tablespoon butter or margarine
6 ounce can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
tablespoon prepared horseradish
teaspoons lemon juice
teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
quart dry mustard
teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a 1-quart saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter over medium-high heat until tender but not brown, stirring often. Stir in water, tomato paste, horseradish, lemon juice,Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt, and ground red pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, then simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until of desired consistency. Serve warm or chilled with seafood. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Deep-Fried Clams or Scallops)
- Per serving:
- 389 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 92 mg chol.,
- 80 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 19 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet