Crawfish with Savannah Rice
Tomato-infused rice perfectly complements the seafood in this Southern-style dinner recipe.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 55 mins 350°F
Crawfish with Savannah Rice
pound frozen peeled, cooked crawfish tails, or fresh or frozen shrimp in shells
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
tablespoons tomato paste
cup long-grain rice
cup chopped celery
cup chopped green and/or sweet red pepper
cloves garlic, minced
cup cold water
teaspoon ground red pepper
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Thaw crawfish or shrimp, if frozen. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings from skillet. Reserve the remaining drippings.
- Add the onion to the skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until onion is tender. Carefully stir in the 1-1/2 cups water, tomato paste, sugar, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until heated through and tomato paste is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the uncooked rice in each of four 6-ounce custard cups or four 8-ounce, individual souffle cups. Place cups in a shallow baking pan. Divide the tomato-onion mixture evenly among the custard cups (there should be 1/2 to 2/3 cup of tomato mixture per custard cup). Cover cups with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring once.
- If using uncooked shrimp, peel and devein. Rinse shrimp; pat dry. In a 3-quart saucepan bring 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling. Add shrimp. Cook and stir for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook celery, sweet pepper, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon drippings until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl or cup stir the 1 cup cold water into cornstarch; add red pepper, black pepper, and the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Stir into skillet along with the cooked crawfish tails or cooked shrimp and cooked bacon. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more or until heated through.
- Remove rice from oven. Transfer to a wire rack. Let stand for 10 minutes. To unmold, loosen edges with a knife. Carefully invert rice mixture onto a shallow bowl or dinner plate; spoon a fourth of the crawfish mixture around mounded rice. Repeat with remaining rice and crawfish mixture. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Crawfish with Savannah Rice)
- 354 kcal cal.;
- 11 g Fat, total;
- 168 mg chol.;
- 4 g sat. fat;
- 36 g carb.;
- 1 g fiber;
- 25 g pro.;
- 4 mg iron;
- 243 IU vit. A;
- 17 mg vit. C;
- 71 mg calcium;
- 506 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet