Classic North Shore Fish Cakes
pound skinless fish fillets such as Lake Superior herring, pike or cod, or orange roughy
small onion, cut up
teaspoon ground nutmeg
cup evaporated milk
tablespoons cooking oil
Lemon or orange slices
Fresh herbs (optional)
- Rinse fish; cut into pieces. In a food grinder or a food processor bowl, grind or process the fish and the onion.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine fish, egg, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg, milk, and melted butter. If you like, cover and store in the refrigerator several hours or overnight, or use immediately.
- In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. For each fish cake, use a large spoon to drop about 1/3 to 1/2 cup mixture into skillet, forming it into patties and flattening slightly.
- Cook fish cakes 5 to 6 minutes or until golden, turning once. Reduce temperature as necessary to prevent over-browning. Remove; drain on paper towels. If you like, garnish with citrus slices and herb sprigs. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Classic North Shore Fish Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 356 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- 142 mg chol.,
- 332 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet