- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- Buttermilk or sour milk
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and the garlic powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in Asiago cheese. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside. In a small bowl stir together the egg and the 1/2 cup buttermilk. Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
2. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for four to six strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 12x6-inch rectangle. Brush top lightly with additional buttermilk. Sprinkle rectangle evenly with the remaining 1 teaspoon pepper and the cumin seeds; press lightly into dough. Cut rectangle crosswise into twenty-four 6-inch-long strips. Place dough strips 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
3. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack and let cool. Place cooled biscuits in ???; cover. Attach directions for reheating biscuit sticks.
- Place biscuit sticks on a baking sheet. Heat in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through.
- Store cooled biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 164,
- Fat, total (g) 9,
- chol. (mg) 40,
- sat. fat (g) 5,
- carb. (g) 18,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 4,
- sodium (mg) 223,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet