Sausage Gravy and Dumplings
- In a very large skillet cook sausage, onions, and garlic over medium-high heat until sausage is brown and onions are tender, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage as it cooks. Do not drain. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup flour over sausage mixture; stir flour into the sausage mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. While stirring, gradually add the 3 cups milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in fennel seeds, sage, and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours.
- For dumplings, turn slow cooker to high-heat setting. In a medium bowl combine the 3/4 cup flour, the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl combine the egg, the 1/3 cup milk, and the butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir with a fork until moistened. Make 8 dumplings by using two spoons to drop dough directly on top of sausage gravy in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.) If desired, sprinkle tops of dumplings with parsley.
- If desired, keep gravy and dumplings warm, uncovered, on warm setting or low-heat setting for up to 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts (Sausage Gravy and Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 551 kcal cal.,
- 37 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 128 mg chol.,
- 923 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Angela Holmes 920 Days Ago
Very Good, I did alter it a little to meet what I had and because of my picky eaters I cook for. I did not use the onions, however I added 1/2 an onion soup mix pack in the crockpot, I also left out fennel and sage as my sausage provided enough spice. I did not have bulk sausage I had bob evans links but I easily peeled off the skin and used as normal ground sausage. Waiting for the biscuits to cook now, plenty enough for 8. Also I did cook for 3 hours and my crockpot has a vent so I ended up having to add more milk. Thanks for the recipe!