Sausage, Artichoke, and Sweet Pepper Deep-Dish Pizza
- In a large bowl stir together the first three ingredients (through salt); add the next three ingredients (through honey). Beat with a mixer on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the whole wheat flour as you can. On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes). Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large nonstick skillet cook sausage and sweet pepper over medium heat until sausage is browned. Drain off any fat. Stir in the next four ingredients (through black pepper).
- Line a 6-quart oval slow cooker with nonstick pan lining paper; remove paper and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x11-inch oval. Transfer dough to the paper and return to cooker (dough should extend 2 to 3 inches up the sides). Press top of dough edges onto lining paper. Spoon filling into crust in cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden, giving crockery liner a half-turn halfway through cooking if possible. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook about 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with fresh oregano.
From the Test Kitchen
Barbecue Chicken Pizza
Prepare dough as directed in Step 1. For filling, cut 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces. Coat a very large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken, 3/4 cup chopped sweet pepper, and 1/2 cup chopped onion; cook over medium heat until chicken is browned. Stir in 3/4 cup barbecue sauce. Continue as directed in Steps 3 and 4, except substitute 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese for the mozzarella cheese and, if desired, top with fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Facts (Sausage, Artichoke, and Sweet Pepper Deep-Dish Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 380 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 796 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.