Sausage and Sweet Pepper Hash
12 ounce package cooked smoked chicken sausage with apple, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
teaspoon olive oil
cups sliced sweet onion
Nonstick cooking spray
pounds red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
cups chopped green, red, and/or yellow sweet peppers
cup shredded Swiss cheese (2 ounces) (optional)
teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon or parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium heat about 5 minutes or just until browned. Remove from skillet. In the same skillet heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook about 5 minutes or until tender and just starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Coat the bottom of a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray or line the cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. In the prepared cooker combine sausage, onion, potatoes, thyme, and black pepper. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in sweet peppers. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. Before serving, sprinkle with tarragon. Use a slotted spoon for serving.
Nutrition Facts(Sausage and Sweet Pepper Hash)
- Per serving:
- 131 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 24 mg chol.,
- 220 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet