Waffles with Salsa
These savory side dish waffles are fun to serve with chili as part of a Tex-Mex dinner.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Yields: 10 to 12 (4-inch) waffles
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 3 mins to 4 mins per waffle
Waffles with Salsa
recipe Jicama-Bean Salsa
cup yellow cornmeal
tablespoon baking powder
teaspoons chili powder
tablespoons cooking oil
4 ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained
cup bottled salsa
Dairy sour cream (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Prepare Jicama-Bean Salsa (see recipe below); set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, and salt. In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, egg, and oil; add to dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Stir in chili peppers.
- Pour batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker. Bake according to manufacturers directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with Jicama-Bean Salsa and bottled salsa. If desired, top with sour cream and cheese. Makes 10 to 12 (4-inch) waffles.
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
cup coarsely chopped, peeled jicama
tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- Halve, seed, peel, and chop avocado. Coarsely chop tomato. In a medium bowl combine avocado, tomato, black beans, jicama, red onion and cilantro. Makes about 1-1/2 cups salsa.
Nutrition Facts (Waffles with Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 174 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg chol.,
- 403 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBreakfast and Brunch Recipes, Breakfast and Brunch Waffle Recipes, Dinner Recipes, Ethnic Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Healthy Dinners, Healthy Recipes, Heart Healthy Dinners, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Mexican Breakfast and Brunch Recipes, Mexican Recipes, Quick and Easy Dinners, Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes, Salad Dressing Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes