- For the bouquet garni, place thyme sprigs, bay leaves, and parsley stems in the center of a double-thick, 8-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring the corners of the cheesecloth together and tie with clean string.
- Place the bouquet garni; onion; wing tips, giblets, and neck; carrot; celery; and water in a large saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, very gently for 1-1/2 hours while the turkey is roasting. Cool for 1 hour.
- Remove wing tips, giblets, neck, and bouquet garni from the stock; discard. Place the vegetables and cooled stock in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth (you should have about 2-3/4 cups).
- The ideal time to prepare the gravy is while the turkey is standing after being removed from the oven. Place the turkey on a cutting board, preferably one with a ridge to collect the juices. Skim fat from drippings; reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat in roasting pan. While the pan is still hot, pour the pureed stock into the 3 tablespoons fat, scraping all the bits and pieces off the roasting pan with a large wooden spoon or spatula.
- Mix cornstarch with cold wine until dissolved. Add all at once to the pureed mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 3 cups (14 servings).
Nutrition Facts (Vegetable-Puree Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 33 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 3 mg chol.,
- 53 mg sodium,
- 3 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet