- In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan bring milk just to a simmer, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat.
- In a medium bowl gradually stir 1/4 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks; add sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture turns thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually stir about half of the remaining milk into the egg yolk mixture. Return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture bubbles.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above. Transfer to a clean bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Facts(Vanilla Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 42 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 35 mg chol.,
- 14 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet