- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4-5 hours (high)
Spaghetti Sauce Italiano
pound bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
cup chopped onion (1 large)
cloves garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
6 ounce can tomato paste
4 ounce can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
teaspoon black pepper
cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 large)
ounces dried spaghetti, cooked and drained
Finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet cook the sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in sweet pepper. Discard bay leaf. Serve meat mixture over hot cooked spaghetti. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Spicy Tomato-Cream Sauce:
Prepare as above, except use hot Italian sausage and stir 1/2 cup whipping cream into sauce just before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Spaghetti Sauce Italiano)
- Per serving:
- 517 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 51 mg chol.,
- 1015 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet