- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Yields: 2 cups
- Prep: 25 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Cook: 30 mins
medium tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds total), seeded and cut up
medium onion, cut up
cup snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
cloves garlic, minced
cup finely chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
tablespoons lemon juice
- Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until coarsely chopped. Add onion, cilantro, chile peppers, and garlic. Cover and blend or process until finely chopped.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a medium saucepan. Stir in sweet pepper, lemon juice, oregano, bay leaf, sugar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until salsa reaches desired consistency.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool salsa slightly. Cover and chill for 1 hour to 1 week before serving.
- Serve as a dip for chips, as a barbecue sauce or marinade, or as a condiment for main dishes.
Nutrition Facts (Salsa Picante)
- Per serving:
- 6 kcal cal.,
- 18 mg sodium,
- 1 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesAppetizers, Beef Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Chocolate Desserts, Christmas Recipes, Cocktail Recipes, Easy Appetizers, Ethnic Recipes, Fourth of July Recipes, Grilling, Grilling Recipes, Halloween Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Healthy Snack Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Marinades and Rubs, Mexican Recipes, Party Appetizers, Party Recipes, Salad Dressing Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes