- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Yields: 2 cups
- Prep: 25 mins
- Chill: 1 hr
- Cook: 30 mins
medium tomatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds total), seeded and cut up
medium onion, cut up
cup snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
cloves garlic, minced
cup finely chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
tablespoons lemon juice
- Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until coarsely chopped. Add onion, cilantro, chile peppers, and garlic. Cover and blend or process until finely chopped.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a medium saucepan. Stir in sweet pepper, lemon juice, oregano, bay leaf, sugar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until salsa reaches desired consistency.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool salsa slightly. Cover and chill for 1 hour to 1 week before serving.
- Serve as a dip for chips, as a barbecue sauce or marinade, or as a condiment for main dishes.
Nutrition Facts (Salsa Picante)
- 6 kcal cal.;
- 1 g carb.;
- 18 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet